Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

2015 April PAD Challenge *Poem a Day*

April is going to be a busy month on the blog, which is somewhat fantastic, because it's been on the back burner and it's totally shown...lol. 

Today marks the 8th anniversary of the (April) Poem-A-Day Challenge! 

I've decided--perhaps unwisely--to participate this year and see what happens. After spending so much time on SPHERES, I've really missed out on writing poetry. Well...it didn't help that I lost a good bit of work when Fred II got stolen. That was just depressing. But even if he hadn't gotten stolen, I don't know if I would've written a whole lot.

One good thing about being semi-obsessed with SPHERES is that I've had time to decide whether or not I want to pursue publication as a poet. It saddens me to admit I'm no longer interested in going that route. 

Once, I had kind of envisioned submitting poems to magazines and being published that way, maybe even work my way up to a chapbook, but I just don't think it's ever going to happen. Maybe that's defeatist...but I figured the reason why I wanted to write poems and publish them in the first place was simply to reach an audience--not to make money, not to become famous (*snort* I mean, like my poems are really THAT great)--just to reach people. 

And frankly, I can reach people just fine with my blog, or on youtube, or DeviantArt...the internet is full of opportunity. I can even self-pub, put it up for free...and when/if I launch my website, it'll be available for people to read. Being rejected a few times led me to conclude a few things: 1) my querying ability might suck wayyy more than I thought it did, 2) my poems weren't as universal as I'd hoped, and 3) my poems needed some tuning. I could likely garner a few more, but I digress...

So being rejected wasn't/isn't all bad; I have a chance to improve and refine. At the same time, not having to face the pressure of never being able to do the one thing I really wanted to do with my poetry--get it out there--is a wonderful relief. 

Anyway, I figured I'd try to get back into the groove of just writing to write--no expectations to meet other than writing one poem a day. It could be the lamest poem in the history of ever (my hope lies within the range of mediocre to the beginning of a real spark), but I still want to go for it. 

Who's with me? 

There's a prompt given every day as a starting place for you to dive in. Don't dive in without reading these TIPS for getting through the month from Robert Lee Brewer! Great advice.  

The first prompt is up on Poetic Asides, and there are already 200 comments! :) I'm excited. 

Please comment if you're planning to participate--I'd love to be on the lookout for your poems!  

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I participated last year, and had a LOT of fun with it. Looking forward to your poems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hooray! Yes, I think I might've tried last year, but I didn't last long if I did lol. I just followed your blog :)--love it!

      Thanks for being on the look-see. I make no promises of greatness, though. Haha

      Delete

Leave a comment!